We desire to focus this time of fasting and prayer on the harvest and those working in the field.
This is a topic Jesus mentions several times in his teachings. In John chapter 4, the encounter
with the Samaritan woman, we find these words:
Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work. Do you not say, ‘There are yet four months, then comes the harvest’? Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest. Already the one who reaps is receiving wages and gathering fruit for eternal life, so that sower and reaper may rejoice together. For here the saying holds true, ‘One sows and another reaps.’ I sent you to reap that for which you did not labor. Others have labored, and you have entered into their labor.”John 4:34-38 ESV
Through fasting and praying we can join in this work together, preparing the soil, fertilizing the seeds and praising God for the white fields ready for the harvest. We also want to intercede for those going into the field asking God to help them understand where He is working. Whether we plan, pray, fast or reap we can rejoice together.
Here are four ways in which we can pray specifically for the workers and the harvest in Spain:
1. Help the workers to see the people around them.
We want to ask God to help those on the field to identify and notice those around them:
- Pray for those they encounter each week in stores, places they eat, shops, neighbors.
- Ask God to develop in those on the field a loving and caring heart for the people they interact with or pass by.
2. Help the workers to see the needs of others.
As the workers interact with those around them in conversations. We pray that they can ask questions to learn more about those around them.
- Pray to God to help understand or identify the needs, either physical, spiritual or emotional.
- Ask God for open ears and a heart willing to love and meet the needs of those they interact with
3. Help the workers to see how God is working.
We know for sure that God is working in the lives of those in the field and around them.
- Pray for an awareness of God’s work, a thankful heart for His work.
- Ask God to help those on the field understand how is He working on the life of others so they can join His work.
4. Help the workers see the harvest.
Our Lord said that the fields are ready and that the harvest is plentiful.
- Pray for open eyes so the workers can identify the ripe fields.
- Ask God to produce the growth in the seeds that have been planted so the fields will be ready.
Do you want to go the extra mile? Why not email a worker in Spain and ask him/her0 how can you specifically pray over them on this four points.
Thank you for your prayers and for partnering in God’s work in Spain.
This prayer guide has been adapted from the book The Jesus Strategy from Tom Marshall